Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Non-Objective Painting

Hey guys! How are you all doing?

Sorry, I haven't posted in so long, I've been very busy with school work and dance. But today I have brought to you one of my newest pieces. I actually completed it last month but hadn't had the chance to post it up.

For my CyberARTS class, we had the choice to paint a non-objective piece, make a silhouette, or design playing cards. I chose to pain a non-objective piece. For this piece, we needed to take a collection of photographs of architecture and this is what we would base our painting on. We looked at lines, curves and angles as well as texture.

This is my non objective painting. I used acrylic paint on canvas to make this piece. I based it on some well known architecture at the front of my school. However, I made it so that if an individual looked at it in first, second, third or forth glance, they would still not know what it was. But that is the point; the painting cannot be of anything and it is not. I have merely taken inspirations from a photograph, not objects.

I have used a lot of masking in this piece to achieve perfect, straight and clean lines. Though it may seem simple to use tape but it was not. I had a lot of difficulty making sure paint did not seep underneath the tape and get onto any other parts of the painting. I spent a lot of time masking a re-masking and due to that reason, a lot of my lines became thicker than I originally planned for them to be.

I really like how I used continuous geometric lines for this piece. It is very flat but I think the simple look works great. The colours I decided to use for this piece where yellow, green and a sky blue. I started off with a very warm yellow and then added cool colours (green and blue) to balance it out so that one colour was not overpowering the others.

All in all, I am very happy with my piece and I hope you like it as well! :D Have a great day!

No comments: