Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chess Piece

For our second assignment in Cyber Arts we were asked to draw a chess piece using Proportion, Value and Movement. I chose to draw the Queen.

First I drew the chess piece in the middle of the paper tilting to the left. I then added triangles, swirls, circles, squares and lines (in different thicknesses) to form the background. In the background I divided the page into two, with the chess piece in the middle. On one side I added two striped triangles and added three to the other side, I made one triangle bigger on the right part so it would balance the drawing.

After that I added value to both the chess piece and the background which added weight to the drawing. In the background I added mostly White, gray, white, gray patterns to the lines, triangles and swirls. I shaded the sides of the small circles in the corners so they would look 3D.

For the proportion I used an actual chess piece, measured the main parts and multiplied the measurements by three so the image of the chess piece would be enlarged. This is how I made sure the proportion was accurate.

There is also movement in my drawing. The triangles and swirls draw your eyes around the drawing while the diagonal lines move your eyes across. After drawing the picture I took a photo of it and uploaded it onto the computer. Then I opened the image onto Adobe Photoshop and adjusted the brightness and contrast, thus creating my final outcome.

2 comments:

Rocker_Girly said...

Love your chess piece!

Katie

Payal said...

Thank you Katie ;)