Thursday, October 16, 2008

Photo District News Article

The Girl Project Lets Teens Reveal Their World

This article talks about something called "The Girls project" For this project Kate Engelbrecht (a New York-based photographer) sends a Kodak camera to any girls ages 13-17 in America that want to do this project. The girls then photograph things that are meaningful and special in their lives. The goal of this project is to get photos from 5,000 girls of different backgrounds and cultures in America and then sort the pictures out into a book and traveling exhibition.

This topic is worthy of having an article about it because many people, adults especially, have a certain image about young girls. This project is to show what girls are truly. The girls in the project are sending in photos of nature, text and much more.

I found this topic really inspiring. If these girls can take a camera and express who they are without words and without media. These girls are expressing themselves in an interesting way. I would love to do that. Its a way of opening up and finding yourself.

I think this exacally what I want in a photograph. I want meaning in my photos. I don't want to take a picture of a tree just because I think its pretty. I want to take pictures knowing there is more to that then just the object, I want to know that there's a feeling, mood or reason behind that photo.


CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE

No comments: