Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mazes of the Mind

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to share my El Anatsui piece with you. I had been working for it for about two months now and I am finally finished! This piece is packed already and ready to be sent to the ROM but I took a picture before so I could show you all! :)



The title of my El Anatsui piece is called “Mazes of the mind”. The theme behind it has to do with the walls of hatred; how when you are so mad at something or angry at the world around you that you build so many walls around yourself that it create a maze. When the walls become a maze you have to find your way around them, find your conscience and then find your way out to the real world.

My piece is mostly transparent so you can see through to the other side. One side of my piece consists of a happy, normal world with a white maze around it; this represents that you can conquer the maze and found you way out, people will accept you again. The other side is the opposite; it shows a dark blood red and black world with a black maze. This represents the fact that you may not want to break out of the maze of hatred and if you do, the world and the people in it may not want to accept you anymore because of the things you have said or done.

Since my piece is transparent, I placed a person and their conscience on two different sides of the piece. It seems as they are on the same side but really, there is a barrier between them.

My concept includes many questions within questions. It makes you think because there are two scenarios to it and it depends on who looks at it and what their point of view is. You do not know the conclusion until you think about the actions. My piece has a simple design but it has a maze of thoughts around it.

No comments: