Sunday, March 27, 2011

Romanticism Collage

Hey guys! How are you?

Well, today I'm going to write about my second CyberArts art assignment; the romanticism collage.

For this assignment we were required to chose to make either a dry print or collage focusing on the theme of romanticism; I chose to make a collage.

The idea behind my collage is "the ignorance of class." It shows a poor boy isolated from the life of a middle or high class society. My collage revolves around the idea that the higher society has so much (money, cars, brand named clothing, education, food, etc) but some of us don't think about those who don't have anything at all. We hear about poverty on TV or read about it in the newspaper; but do we do anything about it?

My piece shows romanticism because there is a lot of drama, emotion, and contrast in my collage with one main focal point. You can see the drama and emotion by looking at the focal point; the large image of a poverty stricken boy which I placed at the bottom half of the collage. His expression is intense; it looks as if he is looking at you accusingly; his stare makes you feel uneasy. I placed him at the bottom on the collage because I wanted to separate him from the overlapped images of the higher society; this shows that he is isolated.

The focal point is contrasted with the top of the collage. The bottom is dark and dramatic; the colours I chose from the bottom were very neutral with blacks and browns with a bit of white. The top of the collage however is very bright with a wide arrange of pictures and colours; this symbolizes a happy wealthy society.

The composition I chose to use was the rule of thirds. I wanted to compare and contrast the two different classes but decided that simply dividing the board in half would not add interest to my piece. This is why I made sure that the top half (or the wealthy class) was about a centimeter higher than the center line. This instantly made my piece look better. Finally, to unify my piece I cut up small pieces of text from a magazine and overlapped them underneath all the pictures; I also added a strip of text at the bottom of the collage so my piece would feel balanced.

I am very happy with the end result of my romanticism collage. I hope you liked the outcome too! :)

2 comments:

Pam McFadyen said...

Very interesting thoughts! Are you emphasizing the fact that wealth creates happiness?

Payal said...

Thank you! Not really the fact that wealth creates happiness, its the idea that individuals have a lot more than the standard resources they need in order to survive but there are other individuals that don't even have enough food or water to keep themselves and their families alive.