Saturday, March 5, 2011

Viewfinder Art Assignment

Hey guys! How are you all doing?

So I am here today to talk about my first art assignment for year 3 CyberArts! :) For this assignment we were put into four groups. Each group had a big piece of paper and pastel. We were required to draw images on these pieces of paper based on a chosen quote; we rotated as we did this for a end result of four random large scale doodles/drawings. From these four sheets of drawings, we had to crop an image with good composition. After we chose a cropping with good composition we had to make a large scale pastel, large scale painting and small scale painting based on the cropping.

I unfortunately lost my original small cropping so I am not able to show it to you. :( But I think you'll be able to have an idea of what it looked like from the two pieces that I chose from this assignment. My cropping followed the Golden mean composition.

The first piece I chose was my large scale painting. This painting is one of my favourites because I loved the free-hand feel of painting it. I liked how it didn't require too much detail; I just needed to take a thick brush and go at it! When I started out I didn't pay much attention to brush strokes, but as I got to the last layers I thought it needed something more. So, for the green top layer I played around with brush strokes by dabbing thick paint in different directions to make it more interesting.

I came across some challenges as I was painting this piece. For one, I couldn't add a lot of blending because my original cropping was very solid in terms of colour; this made my painting look a little simple. Another challenge I faced was drawing the bright pink lines; I needed them to be perfectly straight but it was really hard because I had a very thick brush and so the lines became thicker than I had originally planned.

If I were to change something about this painting, I would change the shade of green I used for the bottom half of the painting. This is because It was a cool colour but it did not entirely match the tone of the green that was in my cropping.

The second piece I chose was my small scale painting. I really liked this piece because I had more control with my brush strokes. Since this was a smaller scale painting, I was able to add more detail in it that I wasn't able to in my pastel piece or my large scale painting.

Unlike my large scale painting, I added some interesting textures and colours to my smaller painting. For one, almost all of my brush strokes (except the straight pink lines) were in all different directions. To make the painting more interesting, I dry brushed over the purple and green parts with black paint; this added an interesting texture to the painting.

I didn't have many challenges with this painting specifically. This is because I had more control with my brush. The only part I had a bit of difficulty with was, again, the straight hot pink lines that I couldn't manage to make perfectly straight.

I hope you liked my pieces! I think my favourite would have to be the small scale painting!

No comments: