Friday, March 4, 2011

Video on Trail

Hey guys!
Today I will be critiquing two music videos; a good one (in my opinion) and a bad one (in my opinion). I would love to know your thoughts about it afterwards!

The first video is chose to critique is Fireworks by Katy Perry.



This is an example of a good music video. The song was very inspiring and the video matched it perfectly. The song is all about inspiration, hope, belief and the need for change. I loved how the video showed a variety of different scenarios and different characters facing different situations that they needed to overcome. I felt that it was very effective because the song is about how you can make a change and the video showed these characters overcoming their situations by standing up.

I also liked the fact that the video wasn't distracting the viewer from the song itself. There weren't any unnecessary graphics or effects. The effects that were shown [the fireworks and sparks coming out from the individual's bodies] added the effect of power. It wasn't randomly there; it had a purpose. I really liked this music video.

The second music video that I will be critiquing is Your love is my drug by Ke$ha.




This would be an example of a bad music video. This video is completely random and unnecessary. For one thing, it does not make sense AT ALL. In the song, she sings about how "his [her boyfriend I'm guessing?] love is her drug." So it's basically like a love song; she talks about how her mother and friends don't approve of her love and she's confused because she can't get him out of her mind. The video however shows her in a desert, she's randomly dancing, crouching on the ground with a tiger mask on making weird poses and riding elephants. Then is shows her in a canoe, on the sand, as her boyfriend [?] pretends to paddle. Then to top it off, she is shown with a glow in the dark suit and paint on her body [face and all... still in a desert] trying to make [alluring?] poses. SPLAT, an unnecessary graphic animation. She then ends off the video with one sentence; "your love... your love... your love...your love is my drug. I like your beard." WHAT?

The music may be catchy but the music video is a horrible mess. It does not make any sense and is totally random. This video gets a huge thumbs down from me. What were they thinking?

I hope you liked my post. If you have any opinions about the videos I have chosen or my critiques please do leave a message. I would love to know what you think. Also, if you have any examples of good and bad music videos that you would like to share, do post them in the comments below. I'd like to see them! :)

1 comment:

Ms. Johnson said...

I totally agree with you. What were the producers of the video thinking...an elephant? a tiger mask? hmmm.

On the other hand, re: the Fireworks video, I like the the subtle way that the director has captured a sense of "alienation" and struggle. Perhaps this is something to think about for your group's version.